Section 8 Homeownership Program
What is the Section 8 Homeownership Program?
The program helps the Section 8 voucher holder by paying part of their monthly mortgage payment. This payment is paid by Housing Authority to the mortgage lender instead of to a landlord. The voucher holder is responsible for a portion of the mortgage payment as well.
In addition, the program helps with credit recovery, financial education, case management, homeownership education, and help with lenders and realtors.
Who is eligible?
Participants in the Housing Authority’s Section 8 Homeownership Program must be:
- A current participant in the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri’s Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- The head of household.
- Permanently employed 30 hours or more per week for a minimum of one year before enrolling in the Homeownership Program.
- Earning an income of $14,500 or more (exceptions are made for the elderly and persons with disabilities).
- Enrolled in the HAKC Family Self-Sufficiency Program (exceptions are made for the elderly and persons with disabilities).
- Be in good standing with the Housing Authority of Kansas City, Missouri.
For further information, contact Felix Makachia, Program Coordinator, Section 8 Homeownership Program, at 816-777-2901.